Thursday, November 11, 2010

Our Veteran


I will never forget taking Shawn to Ft. Hood the day he left for Iraq. I'm shocked I still have eyeballs from bawling so much. I cried so hard I couldn't even say goodbye. He was smart and wouldn't let me take him to the gym where everyone was meeting. I just dropped him at his office and that was it. I think it was better that way. He could support his soldiers leaving their families and we didn't have to say goodbye surrounded by the collective sadness.

He told me from the get go that he would be gone for a year. At that time, the word was six months max but he kept preparing me for a year and thank goodness, because he got home just shy of a year. March 24th! Another day I will never forget. This time I was at the gym and the joy in the room was overwhelming and beautiful. Thankfully for us that deployment has been our only long separation but today I'm thinking of the many military families. Their sacrifices are real and great.

Beyond being thankful for his service to our country, I am just plain thankful for the best husband and father to our kids that I could ask for. Here are a few reasons why:

He really listens to our boys
He plays and plays and plays
He is pretty darn funny
He loves desserts and no one else in the family is complaining
He lets me sleep in every Saturday, now that is selfless!
He is thoughtful
He is smart
He works really hard so the rest of us can enjoy a more carefree life
He never complains - even when he is sick, seriously never!
He is always level headed, can I even express how much I need this when I've gone into a tizzy about who knows what
He knows what is important in life and he prioritizes the important stuff
He is about a million other things but that's a good start. :)

I read this quote shortly after we were married and thought THAT is exactly what I want and guess what? I have it!
"Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh everyday, ah, now that's a real treat." Joanne Newman

And thank you to our other favorite veteran, Grandpa Dentist (I mean Dennis)

Also HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Grandma Jane. Love you!

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this post you are so thoughtful Shawna and lucky to have the man you do! He comes from good stalk what can I say ;-) Glad you're part of the family and that I have family like Shawn! Amen that he's here with us to continue to celebrate life and all its joys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet, heartfelt post Shawna. Thanks for painting such a vivid picture of what military families go through when sending off the ones they love into the unknown. I am so happy for you that Shawn is home, and for the amazing husband and father you are blessed with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special post. It gave me warm fuzzies and such an appreciation for what the men in our family and so many others (as well as their loved ones) have given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was just beautiful, Shawna! And he's so lucky to have such a caring, loving and appreciative wife! Love both of you and your wonderful family! What lucky children to be born with you as a Mom and Dad!!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete